By Charlene Shields
Notes from the White County Historical Society as they appear in "The Carmi Times."
Copyright ©2002 by "The Carmi Times" Permission to reprint granted to Cindy Birk Conley and the ILGenWeb by Tammy Knox, editor, "The Carmi Times."
Last week Nita Anderson of Weatherford, Texas, was the guest columnist.
It was mentioned she was a descendant of John Morrow Marlin and Rachel
We have a booklet researched and donated by Nick Questell on the John
Morrow Marlin family. He says John Morrow Marlin was born on March 2,
1795, in Derry County, Ireland. To quote Mr. Questell, "He (Marlin)
brought his family from Ireland to America around 1834. They were
ship-wrecked and stood at anchor for two weeks about 75 miles north of
Charleston, S.C. All personal effects were thrown overboard when the
ship wrecked. The Marlins were very devout Presbyterians and were among
those who founded the Old Log Church at West Union near Brownsville...
John Morrow died in White County on May 3, 1866; he was 71. Buried in
West Union Cemetery. Joined the Hopewell Associated Reformed
Presbyterian Church on May 8, 1847.
"In 1818, when John Morrow was 22, he married Rachel Graham in Ireland.
She was born in 1799 in Derry County, Ireland. Ten children were born in
Ireland and six in South Carolina. Rachel died in White County on July
18, 1875 at age 76.
"Among their children were John, Hugh, John Morrow, Rachel Nancy, James,
Ralph, Mary Margaret, Henry, Hamilton, David, Robert, William, Sarah
F., Nancy and Margaret Jane."
Terry Gholson and his sociology class from Carmi-White County High
School visited the genealogy library one afternoon recently for a short
lesson on tracing your family history. Some of this group have already
started this hobby. We welcome groups--especially young people.
From Will Hay's reminiscences of times in early White County, we have
his word about block houses here. "Capt. William McHenry built a block
house in the summer of 1812 on the Tanquary land (Hawthorne Twp.?). He
had built in 1811 a horse mill at the same place.
"On the Starkey place a block house was built by Hardy Council and
others in 1813. Another block house on the east side of Prairie, near
the red house, was built at the same time by Aaron Williams. Another, a
little south of George Hanna's house, was built by John Hanna. Robert
Land built another about 200 yards east of Matthew Land's house. John
Slocumb built one east of the Tom Logan farm.
A company of mounted rangers (U.S. troops of volunteers) was here
during the War of 1812, say from 1812 to 1814, to protect the people,
and had its headquarters in the Prairie. We never heard of peace being
made until late in March. The first of March there was a draft here as
many folks had come here from Kentucky and other places." (Extracted
from 1916 newspaper)
The Genealogy Library is open from 10 to 2 Tuesdays through Saturdays.
Return to the White County ILGenWeb Page
The Coordinator for the White County, Illinois ILGenWeb page is Cindy Birk Conley
Copyright © 2002 by
Birk Conley, all rights reserved. For personal use only. Commercial
use of the information contained in these pages is strictly prohibited
without prior permission. If copied, this copyright notice must
appear with the information.