By Charlene Shields
Notes from the White County Historical Society as they appear in "The Carmi Times."
Copyright ©2002 by "The Carmi Times" Permission to reprint granted to Cindy Birk Conley and the ILGenWeb by Tammy Knox, editor, "The Carmi Times."
Last week, the first installment of the "History of Emma Township"
printed. This was written by Helen Arnold in 1957. Mrs. Arnold
In those days one didn't go shopping often, so when the Marshall women
found a piece of material that suited their fancy, they would buy the
whole bolt. They were very generous by nature and when any of their
friends or a needy person wanted a few yards of material for dresses,
aprons, etc., they would get out their bolts of material and gladly give
any amount needed.
Mr. and Mrs. Marshall were the parents of ten children, five boys and
five girls, none of whom ever married. Mrs. Marshall died in 1871 and
Mr. Marshall in 1886. Mr. and Mrs. Marshall and their ten children are
buried in Marshall Cemetery. They have one of the largest and most
beautiful monuments in the county.
Another prominent man of this vicinity was Mayfield Huston, who came
here in 1865 from Rising Sun, Ind. and purchased a large tract of land.
He had known John Marshall previous to this, and it was one of the
reasons Huston came to this part of the country. After Huston had
settled here, he platted a small town near the banks of the Big Wabash
River. He named this village "Rising Sun," now familiarly known as
Dogtown, after his home town in Indiana. He also donated one-half acre
of ground for the erection of a building to be used for school and
church purposes. This village is still in existence. The Huston home was
located north of Rising Sun and only a short distance from the river.
This house washed away in the 1937 flood.
Mr. and Mrs. Huston were the parents of several children. As each child
married, they were given a tract of ground to start a home. The only
child to remain in the township was Sarah Ellen, who married John S.
Brumblay, a native of Dearborn County, Ind., in 1867.
Mr. Brumblay had the advantage of a good education and attended
Moore's Hill College, which was later moved to Evansville and is now
known as Evansville College. He was held in high esteem in the
community and was elected tax collector in 1874. In those days, the
collector rode from house to house collecting taxes. Politically Mr.
Brumblay was a Democrat but cast his first presidential vote for
Abraham Lincoln in 1865. [sic]
(To be continued)
The Genealogy Library is closed until Feb. 5.
Address letters to Genealogy, White County Historical Society, PO Box
121, Carmi, IL 62821.
Return to the White County ILGenWeb Page
The Coordinator for the White County, Illinois ILGenWeb page is Cindy Birk Conley
Copyright © 2002 by
Birk Conley, all rights reserved. For personal use only. Commercial
use of the information contained in these pages is strictly prohibited
without prior permission. If copied, this copyright notice must
appear with the information.